Title: Freeman Street Market in Grimsby
Author: Charles Voisey, London
Date: May 2017 scan of a c1905 photo postcard

Note The Red Lion Hotel in the background and St Andrew's Church; neither of which exist today. The church was demolished in 1962. The Red Lion stood on Nelson Street corner.

The market dates back to 1873. It was always very busy as it served the most densely populated part of the town with its close proximity to the docks. In later years it became a covered market but with the demise of the fishing industry it is now a 'shadow' of its former self, along with Freeman Street.

Email: ''