Weelsby_Woods_Lions

Title: Weelsby Woods Lions
Author: P. M. Fenwick
Date: January 2017
Comments:

These historic, old lion statues originally stood in the grounds of a large house in Abbey Road, Grimsby. The owners donated them to the town in c1948.

At first the council struggled to find a good, new position for the lions. Following an excellent idea from Thomas Albert Parker (the pharmacist at the local Parker & Spyvee chemist shops) they were placed either side of the entrance of the newly opened Weelsby Woods recreational park which was donated to the borough of Grimsby in 1950.

The lions are still in place today and many Grimsby and Cleethorpes children remember 'riding' them as a child! Following the ravages of time and vandalism, the lions were temporarily removed for 'refurbishment' in 2006.

Grimsby and Cleethorpes | Email: 'imagesoflincolnshire.co.uk'