_

Thornton_Abbey_by_Collis_of_Cleethorpes

Title: Thornton Abbey Gatehouse by Collis of Cleethorpes
Author: Collis of Alexandra Road, Cleethorpes
Date: December 2017 scan of an original c1900 cabinet card photo
Comments:

This impressive, ornate abbey gatehouse is the largest and amongst the finest in England. It's located near the village of Thornton Curtis. The abbey dates back to the 13th/14th century and was a house for Augustine canons. The abbey was closed in 1539 by Henry VIII. Little remains of the abbey itself, but the gatehouse is structurally intact and stands two storeys high.

Old Lincolnshire Images | Email: 'imagesoflincolnshire.co.uk'