_

The_Royal_Hotel_Grimsby_Great_Central_Railway_1917

Title: The Royal Hotel, Grimsby; A Great Central Railway Postcard c1917
Author: Great Central Railway
Date: An April 2019 image taken directly from an original c1917 printed postcard posted to Chesterfield on the January 4th 1917
Comments:

The Royal Hotel, Cleethorpe Road, Grimsby Nat. Tel. 30. The Royal Dock Hotel, as it was originally known, opened in 1865. In July 1879 the Royal had its first Royal visitors, the Prince and Princess of Wales.

In 1890, The Royal Hotel became the property of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company. In 1923, the railway company, which had been renamed the Great Central Railway Co, was absorbed into the LNER. During WWII, the hotel was requisitioned for use by the navy. After the war, the hotel became neglected but was returned to its former glory by Hewitt Brothers and it reopened in the early 1950s.

The Royal became the childhood home of celebrated actress Patricia Hodge. Her parents, Eric and Marion Hodge, ran the refurbished Royal until it was demolished in the mid-1960s to make way for the Cleethorpe Road flyover. The hotel was replaced by today's Humber Royal Hotel on Littlecoates Road.

An interesting fact is that the 1865 hotel's name was spelt out by the initial letters of animals (and one man) carved above the ground floor windows. R(abbit), O(wl), Y(orkshireman), A(pe), L(eopard), D(uck), O(tter), C(at), K(angaroo), H(orse), O(wl), T(iger), E(lephant) and L(ion). The hotel survived for 101 years.

Old Lincolnshire Images | Email: 'imagesoflincolnshire.co.uk'