The_PS_Lincoln_Castle

Title: The PS Lincoln Castle (c1950s)
Author: Alex Duncan of Gravesend, Kent
Date: December 2016 scan of the original c1950s photograph
Comments:

Many have fond memories of this coal-fired, side-wheel paddle steamer which operated as a ferry over the River Humber from WWII until 1978. The ferry ran from New Holland, Lincolnshire on the south bank to Hull - just a short walk to the shops. The Humber Bridge was opened in 1981 and the ferries were no longer required.

The ferry could carry a few cars at the rear. The ones shown in this photo suggest that the photo was taken in the 1950s.

Built in Glasgow and launched in 1941, the PS Lincoln Castle was a superior vessel compared to its sister ferries; PS Tattershall Castle and PS Wingfield Castle.

Sadly and amidst much controversy the PS Lincoln Castle was broken up in Alexandra Dock, Grimsby in 2010. What happened to all the valuable parts?

Old Lincolnshire Images | Email: 'imagesoflincolnshire.co.uk'