_

The_Empire_Cinema_Alexandra_Road_Cleethorpes_1920_Closer_View

Title: The Empire Cinema, Alexandra Road, Cleethorpes 1920 - Closer View
Author: The Doncater Rotophoto Co., Ltd.
Date: An April 2019 image taken directly from an original photographic postcard. The only handwriting on the reverse is "September 11th 1920".
Comments:

This fine, Victorian building opened as the Alexandra Theatre in 1896. By 1913, it had been re-named the Empire Theatre. Live theatre continued until c1920 when it became a cinema, as in the photo.

Between 1939 and 1945, the building was requisitioned for war use. In 1946, it re-opened as a theatre. Stars such as Tommy Cooper appeared there. In 1959, the Empire became a cinema once more until finally closing in 1964.

This Grade II listed building is still there with traces of white paint on the side. It has served as a bingo hall and is now an amusement arcade and laser games centre.

Old Lincolnshire Images | Email: 'imagesoflincolnshire.co.uk'