RAAF_460_Squadron_Memorial_Binbrook

Title: 460 Squadron RAAF Memorial, Binbrook
Author: P M Fenwick
Date: May 2016
Comments:

460 Squadron was a multinational unit but most personnel were Australian. The Squadron moved to RAF Binbrook in May 1943. Equipped with Lancaster aircraft, the Squadron attacked many major targets. This included attacks on Berlin and Peenemunde. The Squadron also flew missions in support of the D-Day landings. '460' also attacked Adolf Hitler's mountain retreat of Berchtesgaden and took part in the transportation of relief supplies to starving Dutch civilians. The Squadron moved from Binbrook to East Kirkby in July 1945.

The famous Lancaster 'G-George', which is now preserved at the Australian War Memorial (AWM) in Canberra, Australia, once flew from Binbrook. G-George flew 90 operational sorties over occupied Europe and brought home, alive, every crewman who flew aboard her!

WW2 Images | Email: 'imagesoflincolnshire.co.uk'