Guy_and_Smith_Ltd_Grimsby_c1905

Title: Guy & Smith Ltd, Grimsby c1910
Author: Topham, 19 Tasburgh St., Grimsby
Date:

A May 2018 scan of an original c1910 photograph

Comments:

Guy & Smith were trading at 19 Victoria Street, Grimsby from 1871. The department store was rebuilt and then it expanded by taking over adjacent shops. Guy & Smith Ltd was an independent company until 1969 when House of Fraser bought the store. They changed the name to Binns (Grimsby) Ltd in 1970 and rebuilt the store (retaining the original frontage). The store is now House of Fraser Grimsby.

On 7th June 2018, it was announced that 31 House of Fraser stores are to close including those in Grimsby and Lincoln. The closure of the store in Grimsby could have a major impact on the town centre.

Email: 'imagesoflincolnshire.co.uk'