Corporation_Bridge_Grimsby_1928

/>

/>

Title: Corporation Bridge, Grimsby (1928)
Author: Unknown
Date: January 2016 scan of a 1928 photo
Comments:

The bridge was built in 1925 and spans Alexandra Dock near Victoria Mills. It was opened on July 19th 1928 by the HRH The Prince of Wales (Edward VIII). This photo, produced by the contactors, Sir William Arrol & Co. Ltd., shows the opening ceremony.

Sir William Arrol was a Scottish civil engineer and his company constructed many fine bridges including Tower Bridge, the Forth Bridge, the Tay Bridge and Keadby Bridge in Lincolnshire. This fine, original, large photo was sourced from Fife, Scotland. The quality is so good that it's possible to read signs and trawler markings such as:

GREETINGS TO OUR EMPIRE'S AMBASSADOR

MARSHALL, KNOTT & BARKER LTD.

HEWSON, CHAPMAN & CO.

SHIP REPAIRS

GY1170 DARGLE

H295

GY41

MARPLE

Details on th back of the photo give that the with of the roadway is 31' 10", the width of the footways are 2 @ 9' 6", the total width is 51' 2", the clear span is 45' 0" and the rolling weight is 428 tons.

Old Lincolnshire Images | Email: 'imagesoflincolnshire.co.uk'