Avro_Lancaster_at_RAF_Fiskerton

Title:

Avro Lancaster at RAF Fiskerton

Author: Unknown
Date: A December 2017 scan of an original November 1943 photo
Comments:

The Lancaster heavy bomber, "D for Donald", returns to RAF Fiskerton just after midnight following a bombing raid on Berlin. This wonderfully atmospheric image shows the aircraft taxiing up the runway with its landing lights on and being guided by the Flight Sergeant holding a torch in each hand.

Fiskerton is just 6 miles East of Lincoln. RAF Fiskerton opened in January 1943 and was controlled by RAF Scampton. The station was home to No 49 Squadron and No 576 Squadron.

"D for Donald" of No. 49 Squadron and crew were lost returning from Berlin just a month after this photo was taken.

WW2 Images | Email: 'imagesoflincolnshire.co.uk'